Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

Post subject: Best audio format
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 pm 

Filmic pro provides three audio codec options: PCM, AIFF, AAC.
I’ve been using the default PCM for a while now. While working within LumaFusion things seem relatively smooth and synced. When I export my videos from LumaFusion audio sync is fine, but when I upload those same videos to YouTube, there is a slight audio delay.
Does anyone have any insight into why this is happening? Any recommendations for the best audio codec to use with LumaFusion (PCM, AIFF, AAC), or is performance the same?

(I’m working on an iPhone X with the most up to date LumaFusion and filmic pro versions).

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Best audio format
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:36 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
Filmic pro provides three audio codec options: PCM, AIFF, AAC.
I’ve been using the default PCM for a while now. While working within LumaFusion things seem relatively smooth and synced. When I export my videos from LumaFusion audio sync is fine, but when I upload those same videos to YouTube, there is a slight audio delay.
Does anyone have any insight into why this is happening? Any recommendations for the best audio codec to use with LumaFusion (PCM, AIFF, AAC), or is performance the same?

(I’m working on an iPhone X with the most up to date LumaFusion and filmic pro versions).

Thanks!
I would like to know this, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:20 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi the clue is here:

‘When I export my videos from LumaFusion audio sync is fine, but when I upload those same videos to YouTube, there is a slight audio delay.‘

YouTube uses compression algorithms to save space

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:52 am 

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Whether or not the issue is with YouTube vs LumaFusion (obviously something is going on at the level of uploading to YouTube), I still would like to know what the best audio format is to work with. Would one audio format over another help mitigate these types of cross platform audio sync issues?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:45 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

‘obviously something is going on at the level of uploading to YouTube’

Any suggestions what that might be?

When you upload a file to YouTube - from anything - it gets compressed - that’s the nature of YouTube
When you play something back from YouTube it gets uncompressed - that’s the nature of YouTube

When I make a video with LF it plays fine on my iPad
When I upload it to my NAS and play it back on my TV over a cable connection it plays fine
When I play it back over WiFi sometimes I get a bit of lag

The connections just can’t cope with compressing/decompressing/streaming etc

A lower bitrate for the audio would in theory decompress ‘quicker’ but would also be lower quality - but would you hear it?

Suggestion, save your video at a lower bitrate and see if the lag disappears on YouTube (obviously the quality won’t be as good)

Everybody (me included) wants everything at 4K with the ‘highest everything’ - but it’s a balancing act whether everyone will be able to play it back at the same quality

I’m not against YouTube but some people have said that Vimeo gives better playback

Hope that makes sense/helps a bit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:09 am 
Novice
Novice

Not a lot of people know this, but if ingest is say, 44.1 kHz which for reasons unknown to me LF defaults to. Anyways, say you ingest at 44.1 and Export at 48. Or, your native video at ingest is 48, and your project is 44.1.
You are practically GUARANTEED to lose audio sync. This works the same in digital audio workstations.