Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:55 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do I lose any quality from a video rerender when I archive a project with trimmed media?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Let me word this differently:

When you save a project with trimmed media, do all the clips get rerenderd to shorter lengths (thereby adding another generation) or are the clips losslessly trimmed?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:00 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Trimmed not rendered to shorter lengths

From the manual:

Trimmed Media includes only the portions of media that were used on the timeline, plus 1 - 2 seconds on either end to provide enough for fine trimming on the restored project.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:44 am 
Adept
Adept

Dave, I don’t think that quite answers the original question. I’m curious, as well, about this, so here’s my attempt to ask what I think Vidiot was inquiring about, and also to ask what I’m curious about in this regard:

When one saves an archive of a project, copies of the source video clips are made as part of the archive— whether or not the copy is the full length of the original source video clips. Can someone from LumaFusion weigh in on the compression used in these archives? Is it a lossy compression, or is it a lossless one? I think the salient part of the question is, does archiving a project in LumaFusion introduce compression artifacts of any sort into the source video clips that are part of the archive? What compression is used on the video clips in the archival process? What impact on the video quality will there be as a result of archiving/compressing the source material?

Thanks!
Dex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Dex

The way to get the definitive answer is to contact the developers directly by email

They don't get to read every post/thread on here there just isn't enough of them

EDIT: I've just asked them myself

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm 
Adept
Adept

Thanks for the response.

I’ve only used the archive tool a couple times, when I’ve needed to move a project from one device to another; typically I keep all the media on one device until the project is finished.

Regardless, the root of the question is what compression is applied by LumaFusion when it makes an archive? Also, if LumaFusion does, indeed, trim the source clips (as you point out in your quote from the manual, even though it trims them with 1-2 second handles to allow for further fine-tuning), by the very nature of how digital video works, they’re making a copy of the orignal source material, but it’s not an exact bit-for-bit duplicate (since it’s trimmed — even with handles), so there’s some compression/decompression going on.

Vidiot was asking if there’s a hit to the quality of the video from this compression/decompression process.

Simply copying material to your Network Storage is great, but if you’re using LumaFusion’s archive tool, I believe there must be compression going on under the hood.

And, indeed, I will send them an email on this subject, as well as the subject of my other forthcoming post. Thanks for the advice.

- Dex

EDIT TO ADD: I see you just appended your message indicating you’ve asked them, yourself. I won’t send them a second inquiry, but rather wait for you to report what their response is. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LumaFusion uses "passthrough" compression when archiving (including for trimmed media), which generally passes individual buffers through without recompression (though it doesn't guarantee that buffers aren't recompressed). However, if for some reason it can't use passthrough, then it will recompress at the same bitrate to maintain the closest quality possible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
LumaFusion uses "passthrough" compression when archiving (including for trimmed media), which generally passes individual buffers through without recompression (though it doesn't guarantee that buffers aren't recompressed). However, if for some reason it can't use passthrough, then it will recompress at the same bitrate to maintain the closest quality possible.
Judging by how quickly Luma Fusion wrote my trimmed archive file, I would guess that my last trimmed archive was lossless then. Thanks Chris. That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure.

By the way, on that same project, the trimmed archive was just under seven hundred MB, but the untrimmed archive was 8.5 GB! The save time to the WiFi WD hard drive was many hours shorter for the trimmed archive as well!