Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:35 pm 

Hi,

For a long time I have a specific question, but unfortunatelly I can't find answer anywhere.

Usually I shoot in some kind of combination with DJI Spark, GoPro Hero5 Black and iPhone8 Plus. With GoPro and iPhone (FILMiC Pro app), I can shoot in Flat profile, but with DJI Spark I can't. Everything is fixed (when we speak about colour, brightens, contrast, highlights, shadows etc.). I use LumaFusion for editing on iPad Pro. For my needs, Premiere or FinalCut or DaVinci are too complex and time consuming. LumaFusion has pretty nice options, including LUTs.

My question is, is there a way (application?, suggestion for LumaFusion developers) to somehow "read" DJI Spark (or similar devices) video footage data (values for colour, tint, sharpness, contrast, highlights, shadows) - and transfer it to some kind of LUT.

After that it will be easy to apply it to GoPro and iPhone flat profile footage, to get even colours, brightness, highlights, shadows etc..

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What kind of LUTs are you talking about? Technical or creative LUTs? What is your intention or what are you expecting from a LUT? Are you trying to bring all your footage to a certain color space (technical) or are you thinking more in the ways of color grading (creative)?

Like FLAT on one device/software doesn’t necessarily equal FLAT on an other device/software so doesn’t LOG. Every company has their proprietary way when it comes to color science. Usually you might want to find a separate LUT for your specific device’s color profile that translates the footage into a certain color space and then you go on from there with color correction and color grading.

If you are interested in this subject I can send you a link that dives deep into the world of LUTs. You may not understand everything at your first read but you’ll get a pretty good idea how these things are intended to work.

Last edited by mramosch on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here’s the link in case you are interested...

https://www.lightillusion.com/luts.html

In case you are not, you can always grab a screenshot of a representative scene of your footage and import it to e.g. Affinity Photo and apply your color correction/grading there and then save these changes as a LUT, which you can subsequently import in Luma Fusion to apply to your footage there.

———

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:05 am 

Quote:
Here’s the link in case you are interested...

https://www.lightillusion.com/luts.html

In case you are not, you can always grab a screenshot of a representative scene of your footage and import it to e.g. Affinity Photo and apply your color correction/grading there and then save these changes as a LUT, which you can subsequently import in Luma Fusion to apply to your footage there.

———
Hi,

Thanks for answer. Basically problem is when I shoot video with DJI Spark. It's 24Mbps video, 30fps, and it's not in a RAW format, just as is from device. That footage has some brightness, colours, whites, highlights values by itself.

My point is how to discover values for all that video attributes, and than to implement them to flat video footage from GoPro or iPhone (FILMiC Pro)?

My goal is to achieve that final video from different sources (GoPro, iPhone) be as much similar as possible to DJI Spark footage, which I can't record in flat profile.

If I use Affinity (which I tried) and make some corrections to picture screen recorded from DJI Spark footage, save that as LUT, and implement that LUT to GoPro flat footage, result is not as it should be.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I really would encourage you to read the linked article.

I am having the impression that your idea of LUTs is a little bit off of what they really are.

A LUT is not a snapshot of absolute state that, once found, can be applied to any footage, as different as it might be.

It is just a table that says - if any pixel on the input side has the value ‘x’ than convert it to ‘y’ for the resulting output video. And it does this for all the x-es (colors) it wants to have a change for. Colors it wants to stay put have no ‘x to y’ entry in the table. Hence LUT - LookUpTable.

That’s why, when you use a LUT as ‘creative’ LUT, you have to bring all your footage to a common color scheme in the first place. From here you can apply a reasonable ‘x to y’ conversion because the source footage does optimally already have matching colors.

On the other hand, to bring different colored, logged, flattened footage to a common denominator you’d have to find a LUT for each single device that you own, transposing their proprietary color science to a commonly accepted scheme like REC-709 or the like...

In your example you seem to have an already straight video from your drone. Color grading and saving a LUT in Affinity just means you are creating a translation table from ‘straight drone footage’ to ’better looking drone footage’. That’s a creative LUT. When you first bring your GoPro footage to the same level as the drone footage already was in the first place, then applying such a ‘creative’ LUT to both clips would make sense. But with this single ‘creative’ LUT you can definitely NOT make up for the missing GoPro ‘flat/log footage’ to ‘straight footage’ conversion. This step needs its own ‘technical’ LUT...

Read the article, they do a much better job in explaining it accurately :-)