Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:35 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

I know this is a specific combination of equipment but I’m pretty sure that there are other flyers out there who have this stuff but some of it may well apply to those that are using just LF and the new 2018 iPad pros.

For some time now I’ve been using my lightning-port enabled iXpand drive with my old iPad Pro 2017 and it’s been really, really great. I just used to import h265 vids from my Mavic card, directly to LF and edit.

This was all fab until I went out and bought the new 2018 iPad Pro. I realised that this didn’t have the lightning connector so I bought one of those USB-C to lightning widgets on Amazon (£8) to fix the issue and allow me to copy the files directly to LF from the iXpand drive. This, of course didn’t work, so the only way now was to copy the vids from the SD card from the drone, into the photos app and then use FileBrowser to copy them to LF.
Unfortunately after wasting a lot of time, I’ve realised that ios12 does not currently read H265 video so I couldn’t even see the files to copy them.

So, my only chance now is to copy them directly to LF as I used to, but as my iXpand drive has no usb c, all I can use is WiFi and that takes 22mins to copy a 3gb file!

So, has anyone bought one of the new iPads and is using it with h265 videos? If so, I’d love to know how you guys are getting the vids into LF because I can’t figure it out!

Does anyone know of some usb c drive that can be used with LF directly on the new ipads?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:31 am 

Quote:
I know this is a specific combination of equipment but I’m pretty sure that there are other flyers out there who have this stuff but some of it may well apply to those that are using just LF and the new 2018 iPad pros.

For some time now I’ve been using my lightning-port enabled iXpand drive with my old iPad Pro 2017 and it’s been really, really great. I just used to import h265 vids from my Mavic card, directly to LF and edit.

This was all fab until I went out and bought the new 2018 iPad Pro. I realised that this didn’t have the lightning connector so I bought one of those USB-C to lightning widgets on Amazon (£8) to fix the issue and allow me to copy the files directly to LF from the iXpand drive. This, of course didn’t work, so the only way now was to copy the vids from the SD card from the drone, into the photos app and then use FileBrowser to copy them to LF.
Unfortunately after wasting a lot of time, I’ve realised that ios12 does not currently read H265 video so I couldn’t even see the files to copy them.

So, my only chance now is to copy them directly to LF as I used to, but as my iXpand drive has no usb c, all I can use is WiFi and that takes 22mins to copy a 3gb file!

So, has anyone bought one of the new iPads and is using it with h265 videos? If so, I’d love to know how you guys are getting the vids into LF because I can’t figure it out!

Does anyone know of some usb c drive that can be used with LF directly on the new ipads?
When I Airdrop files to my iPad (10,5 pro) it says sometimes it can not read the file and then I get the question if I want to store it in Files. So I do that and mark the video and ask to open in LumaFusion.

I am also using the WD My Passport wireless pro (HF version) and I can store the files there and open them . A bit slow like 33 seconds for a 400 MB clip. I am waiting for Gnarbox 2.0

I really really wish Apple could open a little bit on the door and let Apps like Lumafusion to get access to my Samsung SSD thru USB-C. This would not be an issue on Android...(but as I am a bit stuck with IOS/MAC I can't leave and also I love LumaFusion that is only mon IOS)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:

Holy crap!!!
Now I am very happy I didn’t upgrade from iPad Pro 2017 to 2018.

However, I also didn’t upgrade my iOS 11 to 12, cause the M2P H265 codec has caused many times this issue of unknown content, so did you try a software downgrade to 11?

If not, this process right know you have to handle really suxx :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:26 am 
Novice
Novice

This is an issue with Apple "upgrading" iOS12 (insert angry rant here). H265 and 10bit H264 used to work with the camera roll in iOS11 until Apple decided, for reasons I don't understand, to disable it.

My work-around is to use a 3rd part SD reader. You can import H265, then, using the 'share' feature, send to Luma Fusion. But the reader must have it's only file manager app. I do this with GH5 H265 6K files and a reader I bought on Amazon. The drawback is that my software will only share 1 file at a time. If you have many files, the process can take awhile.

Apple needs dramatically improve iOS for the iPad if it intends to be taken seriously as a "Pro" product. They make incredible hardware but the software simply has too many limitations.

Feel free to email Tim Cook your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Are you absolutely sure that you can read h265 files from an sd card?
Admittedly, I’ve not tried it myself since I updated to 12.1.1 but on 12.1, h265 files simply could not be seen by either my iPad 10.5 or my 2018 12.9.
I’ve had this confirmed by Apple tech support and they said it was on their ‘to do list’ but didn’t know when it would be done. A couple of days ago I had an email from them asking me to try the same with 12.1.1 but I’ve not had the time.
The only other reasonably fast way that I’ve found to transfer h265 files to LF is to use iTunes and transfer to files directly to LF. Multiple files can be transferred with ease, but it means using iTunes, which I hate with a passion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
Jay, my first reaction to your post was, ‘Darn, he’s right! Why get the new iPad Pro since my iXpand Drive won’t work?!’ Then I thought about it, because I have a potential editing gig that may bring me enough to sell my 10.5 iPad Pro and buy a 256GB new 12.9 iPad Pro. And what I realized is (a) Apple’s switching to USB Type C on this iPad is an indication (IMHO) that we can expect USB Type C on future IOS devices, (b) SanDisk will undoubtably come out with an iXpand Drive for USB Type C ports, and (c) the newest iPad Pro has improved performance to support the increasing amount of editing I’m doing only on my iPad and - as I understand - the physical size of the new 12.9 iPad Pro is close to my 10.5 but with greater screen real estate.

http://www.boozphotolearningcenter.com/blog
http://www.youtube.com/billbooz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:28 am 
Novice
Novice

Yup, this was why I bought the new one. I just figured out that someone would have a working lightning to usb converter at launch or thereabouts. Unfortunately, despite having tried 3, none of them allow the Sandisk drive to work. Something will come along, I know, but it’s just annoying of Apple to go ahead and release while presenting the middle finger to those of us that invested in their previously ‘best interface’. Still, it is Apple after all so we should expect this type of thing regularly!