Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:42 am 
Novice
Novice

So I have been using luma fusion for almost a year now, It almost replaced my premiere pro work flow I've done 3 music videos 5 ads and a couple of other projects

it's indeed amazing app it makes editing a joy and easy, having said that I have some frustrating issues With it missing simple basic tools... so simple that it makes me wonder How come it's not there yet!!

I want you to imagen working with 100+ short clips on a 3 layers time line and you want to move a few clips from the end to the start you would have to go back and forth 3 times just for a simple task that i do a dozen of times during my editing

And working with only 3 tracks for video is not enough please guys give us 3 more at least 6 tracks :)

And the need to have adjustment layer to put multi effects (luts,etc.) on top of few layers and switch on/off when ever needed

But the most needed feature for me is the ablity to set in/out points on time line so I can Loop a specific area or export small part from the project

And that (link tool) every time i move a clip I have to unlink it again! It's slow me down for no reason
i hope there will be an option to turn it off

And still waiting for blending moods :(

Anyway I know that you are doing ur best and u are a small team but those are not fancy options like
( time remapping or motion Tracking) those things i mentioned are basic editing tools for a real work flow
That I use every day and I'm sure everyone else does

Again Thank you for the amazing work, love you

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:36 pm 

I agree with all above. Personally I’m disappointed with 1.7. It’s like LumaFusion is trying to fly before it can crawl. Multi selection/cut/paste, timeline markers, cutting while playing; these are the most basic things that just have to be there before before things like storyblocks, title templates or external drive support.

Knowing that it will be many months until the next release, I have officially given up on LF and going back to FCP. I’ll check back in a year or so :/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:46 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

—-

I do also agree with the long wishlists in the posts above, however, I am not disappointed at all with what we’ve got so far and got with the 1.7 release.

Quote:
It’s like LumaFusion is trying to fly before it can crawl. Multi selection/cut/paste, timeline markers, cutting while playing; these are the most basic things that just have to be there before before things like storyblocks, title templates or external drive support.

Knowing that it will be many months until the next release, I have officially given up on LF and going back to FCP. I’ll check back in a year or so :/

It seems to me like you’re offering your girlfriend a vacation to a place of her choice for her upcoming birthday and you are then being disappointed because she chose a destination you don’t like at all. You are pissed off and tell her you’re gonna leave her now ;-)

Software development in a small team with very limited resources is a very subtle thing. You have to maintain a delicate balance between accommodating your current customer base and at the same time attracting new potential customers by showing off that development is going forward and not stuck.

You have to maintain a delicate balance of features for the ‘quickies’ - who just don’t wanna fiddle around too long at editing but rather get an immediate result for sharing, with pre-cooked templates, music, video blocks instead of having to go someplace else for finding the limited ingredients they need - and the more ‘pro’ users who are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for plug-ins or subscription models on their desktops but complain about an average $15 one-off price tag for mobile apps because they are gonna use it ‘only’ occasionally anyways - as a fun gimmick when on the road - because of an iPad not being ‘pro’ enough for some serious work anyways, like their beefy set-up at home.

Remember - we are talking ‘mobile’ here and the majority of users are these quickies. Luma knows that! And we know that and can adjust our expectations to that fact. Your girlfriend wasn’t rich when you decided to date her. So don’t hold that against her now - you knew in the first place where you were buying into... :-)

All the other companies out there know that too, even the big players. But has anyone yet invested in a pro video solution for iPads. No! Even if every new iPad iteration seems to top out even more laptops and desktops in terms of performance no one is willing to fully commit to ‘mobile’ - because of this ‘all mobile apps should be free’ attitude these days. You already have luxuriously invested in a $2000 tablet that you don’t consider as a replacement for your computer anyways, so why even pay for some decent applications on top of that.

Don’t tell me now that you are willing to pay decent money, because the majority of users won’t. They either don’t need advanced features or have already invested in a ‘pro’ system on another platform.

And I don’t blame you for that but rather Apple who forced as into that model, leading to a culture that leaves no place for big style development for the average developer who wants to make a living with mobile application coding.

So my point here being that - I am pretty confident that the folks at Luma are spotting very carefully what’s going on in the big world around them and will be adapting the pace of their business plan according to their findings and their experience.

The mobile iPad world is just simply not ready yet for the ‘pro’ market. Not because of its ‘incapability’ but rather of the mind-set of its users which is far away from a ‘pro’ mind-set when it comes down to business...

As always - no offense intended at all - just my 2 cents...

———

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:36 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Final Cut Pro was released, I believe, about 2009 so let’s see what LF is like in maybe another 8 or 9 years and then make another comparison

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:41 pm 

In response, I am certainly not angry or is invested with LF as I would be with a girl :). I believe disappointed is a good word for me and that’s why I used it. And to the last post, I also wrote I’ll check back in in a year too see if it has matured (like FCP did). I’m sure it will. And since I’m just asking for the basic features of markers and to move multiple clips, I’m pretty sure it didn’t take FCP 8 years to implement.

To say that LF is mostly for happy amateurs looking for “quickies”. That might be true. But the app store is full of apps like that. And LF presents itself as a “professional” editor. So expecting pro (or even basic) features doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. See their own description below:
“LumaFusion – professional video editing
LumaFusion is a powerful multi-track video editor used by mobile journalists, filmmakers and professional video producers to tell compelling video stories. If you are a professional or aspiring producer, journalist, or filmmaker, if you have a video story that’s begging to be told, if you want to use the latest technology for iOS; LumaFusion is the premier professional video editing and effects app for you. ”

So yes, LF has promise. I have been following closely since the start. And hey, maybe they should switch to a subscription based pricing or sell features as in app purchases to fund development. I for sure would pay for it. On my ipad I run full pro versions of affinity photo and design. I run full CAD software and is eagerly awaiting a video editor that frees me from my mac. With full photoshop coming soon and the newly released adobe rush and premiere, things are atleast moving in a good direction. And if it turns out LF will not be geared to professional use and drops it’s description, then I’ll accept that of course.

Hopefully I didn’t offend too much. That was not the intention.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:53 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:

...and since I’m just asking for the basic features of markers and to move multiple clips, I’m pretty sure it didn’t take FCP 8 years to implement.

Hopefully I didn’t offend too much. That was not the intention.

No you didn’t at all.

Maybe just the ‘feature poll’

https://forums.luma-touch.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6814

would have been the right place to go. There you could properly voice your opinion about future development. As far as I remember I did not see you contributing there... ;-)

Luma is definitely geared towards professionals but nevertheless, certainly the majority of its current user base is in the ‘quickies’ department and delivers the revenue, that’s why a delicate balance in feature development has to be kept. It’s still a mobile platform after all and obeys different rules.

But rest assured, Luma folks are listening - especially to professionals...

———

BTW: Far from wanting to compare LF to any half baked video editor on the store, but...

...don’t all of them, even the sh*ttiest ones, advertise themselves as the ‘only existing pro solution’ on the iPad market? I find that for the time being Luma is by far the closest to this claim, whatever their words might mean... ;-)

Last edited by mramosch on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

Must have been longer than that Dave, I was back from Nepal editing in 2008 with Final Cut.
Drag and drop Final Cut what a great idea at the time. 2018 gulp time flew by and drag and drop all the norm.
Think it was 2006 about’s first came out with Final Cut.

You have a point of course only so much can be done in time frames.
But I would love more time lines one more for now would be cool for larger iPads users, I’m so selfish:)

I also very much like to have select clips and move them around.

Not sure this would be helpful on a small screen environment.

Regards Rob
Quote:
Final Cut Pro was released, I believe, about 2009 so let’s see what LF is like in maybe another 8 or 9 years and then make another comparison

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:29 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Outdoors - nope, wasn’t offended at all

Rob, you’re probably right, I just asked Google

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:35 am 

Quote:
BTW: Far from wanting to compare LF to any half baked video editor on the store, but...

...don’t all of them, even the sh*ttiest ones, advertise themselves as the ‘only existing pro solution’ on the iPad market? I find that for the time being Luma is by far the closest to this claim, whatever their words might mean... ;-)
I haven’t read every description out there, but for the ones I’ve seen and tried, none uses “professional” in their description as far as I remember. It’s more: “hey, try this super fun easy magic app.” Btw, Of those I can highly recommend Quick. Gopros editor. Grab some live photos, clips etc and you get a quick awesome video in minutes. Amazing for those things.

I did vote in the feature poll (for multi select clips), and I did make feature request posts about these things 6 months ago or so. From the response then it seemed LF had it already planned and on the to-do list. So with every update I was hoping to see that or the top 5 voted on the feature polls. But I’m sure that will happen in time. I’ll check back in now and then and see what’s cooking. Hopefully 1.8 lands in jan-feb with some amazing refinement in it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:16 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah, definitely check back...

Fun fact: you are referring to Quick as ‘one of them’ that don’t refer to themselves as ‘professional’...

Are you talking about

“Quik by GoPro” ;-)

Assuming that the PRO in GoPro doesn’t stand for prostitute or something alike, GoPro is even keen enough to put ‘professional’ into their brand name...

CU in 1.7.1 (maybe we don’t have to wait till 1.8 for the ‘basic’ stuff)

Last edited by mramosch on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.