Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:55 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Hi Jay,

Have you tried iXpand flash drive?
How did you get on with this in LumaFusion?
Quick?

I only ask as I have seen ixpand here 128 gigs £30 in Japan.
They said it is no longer supported and they now use leer ibridge size 128 gigs £200 pounds.

I also import from WD drive over wifi.

The grand master knobby Dave made some tests as I did but we only managed less than 10 megs transfer or less - this is due to LAN slow it appears compared to WAN

I think the answer buy surface pro just seen one in a shop does it all plug play import :)

IOS as the man said no a proper computer, that’s the Mac store.

Regards Rob
Hey Rob,
I use the iXpand every day. I have the 128gb and it’s just the fastest way to get video into LF. £30 is pretty cheap - I think I paid around £60 from Amazon for mine. Not sure about not being supported, I use it all the time!

I too have a WDmyhome (or something) drive on the network and this works well too but at WiFi speeds so it’s a LOT slower than the iXpand. The Iexpand will transfer a 3gb video in well under a minute!

I use my iPad Pro 10.5 over any desktop pc for video editing. It beats the pants of my workstation (hexa core Intel Xeon with 24gb RAM). I’ve used this with Premiere and daVinci Resolve and for straight forward editing, LF kills them in speed and ease of use. Sure, they do a few more fancy things but you’ll quickly grow tired of these effects and just go back to conservative editing anyway!

I’ve been down the Surface Pro route and never doing it again, ever, never, ever etc!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:30 am 

Quote:
Like I said before (look earlier in this thread), if you want to transfer files directly to LF, you need to do it through Wifi from a NAS or equivalent (look in LF import menu) or get an iXpand flash drive. If you try and just connect an SD card to the ipad using a card reader, you will just import all your videos to your photos app and that will then upload all of them into your iCloud! You may not want to upload a few 3gb videos to iCloud, but this will happen if you import to ipad in the usual way.

As the thread starter, I spent ages getting this to work and if anyone finds a better and quicker way (that actually works), I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks for this. How do you go from SD card to iXpand? Do you go SD card to laptop. Laptop to iXpand. IXpand to iPad Luma fusion?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:35 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi Loobola
The way I do it is to copy all the vids from the SD card to a safe storage directory on my network (or your laptop) first. Then I copy the videos that I need to the iXpand drive and then insert that into my iPad. This way, if you mess up something in editing, you've always got a original backup on your laptop!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if I can either:
1. Use the Apple card reader (I don’t own one - or another card reader) to directly import files in to Luma fusion or
2. Use a card reader to import files in to the Apple Files app?

I would like to go from Micro SD to Luma Fusion as directly as possible and need to avoid Apple Photos as iOS12 no longer imports the 4K 10bit Mavic zoom footage in to photos.

Ideally I want to avoid loading them on to a laptop and then using a USB to import as that’s an extra step needing a laptop. I bought the WD Passport SSD but going to send it back as it is poor and very unstable.

Any help appreciated. Thanks all
Loobola,
You’re going to a few issues importing the Mavic Zoom 10 bit footage into LF.

Firstly if you import the footage as a 10bit dlog, the output will need to adjusted for lens distortion. The Mavic Zoom, like my Mavic 2 Pro both produced dlog footage that clearly shows lens distortion and that can’t be corrected in LF. There’s just no mechanism for it.

Secondly, the only way to import this Dlog footage is directly into LF as I described. Once imported, you can apply the DJI LUT and that will colour correct it pretty well but, you’ll still have the lens distortion.

The only sensible way is to use the ‘Normal’ profile on the Mavic and import this in. You won’t need to correct for distortion and you’ll hardly have to colour correct it as it’s pretty darned good already.

This is what I do and it works very well. I’ve been down the 10bit road and even after a bucket load of processing from a desktop PC, no one can tell the difference between it and the “Normal” profile!

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this. Much appreciated. I’ll do some testing and see how I get on with 8 bit vs 10 bit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:39 am 
Novice
Novice

No worries
Let me know if you need any more help etc!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:45 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Hi Loobola,

That’s correct all SD imports to photo app.
I am happy to test other ways if you provide say small video of the type your referring to, invite by drop box and test.

Regards Rob
Wow, i did not know this! I just bought an USB-C card reader for the Ipad im getting later this month.

I do have a NAS, and plan to import media from it into LF. Mostly over wifi, but i guess I also could hook up a cabled network straight
into the Ipad, for even quicker transfer speeds. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

With an external lightning SD-card reader who’s iOS-application supports the ‘OpenIn...’ share extension you can open your files directly in LumaFusion without any intermediate step.

You just have to check out iOS’s shared file size restrictions. It used to be 400Mb in the old days, then they raised it to 800Mb IIRC, last time I checked it was 1Gb or even 1.2Gb...

———

There also used to be a hack with renaming the *.mp4 file-extension on the card to something else that iOS does not consider to be a photo or video. Instead of copying your stuff to the Photos app automatically iOS opened the share sheet where you could also direct your files to any other app that hooks into the share facility. After renaming it back to *mp4 you were good to go.

This was even more comfortable when zipping a group of files together into one archive. This way you could avoid the ‘1 file at a time only’ sharing restriction of iOS and copy a bulk of files in one fell swoop.

Of course your destination app has to be capable of unzipping the archive - which Luma is, fortunately ;-)

———

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 am 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
This was even more comfortable when zipping a group of files together into one archive. This way you could avoid the ‘1 file at a time only’ sharing restriction of iOS and copy a bulk of files in one fell swoop.

Of course your destination app has to be capable of unzipping the archive - which Luma is, fortunately ;-)

———
Thanks for this.

That led me to this:

https://www.izip.com

I bought it for $5.99. (I always buy apps to help support great developers). Great purchase. It works flawlessly. I choose a bunch of files on my iPhone... Zipped it in iZip... Shared it via the share sheet. And on my iPad Pro, it gave me the option to import it directly into Luma. By the way, the files go directly to Imported < sharingd

Sweet!!! What a great workflow.