Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:21 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.6.7 is now available on the App Store, which includes a number of improvements and bug fixes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:05 am 
Adept
Adept

How would you blur the background and leave the for ground in focus on the video?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:06 am 
Adept
Adept

Example of the video working on

Attachments:
CBA6CAC0-85BA-4B3E-B918-F4C89A7B1E9B.png
CBA6CAC0-85BA-4B3E-B918-F4C89A7B1E9B.png [ 546.41 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:38 am 
Adept
Adept

Here is what I did works ok if person is stationary.

Attachments:
4280B15A-7238-421F-A523-F51DA7D50764.png
4280B15A-7238-421F-A523-F51DA7D50764.png [ 139.44 KiB | Viewed 477 times ]
412841AE-FEDE-46EA-AE60-0E1C0EF41753.png
412841AE-FEDE-46EA-AE60-0E1C0EF41753.png [ 122.75 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:22 am 
Novice
Novice

For this video, if the background is moving as well as the actors, you'd have to rotoscope and mask to get the effect you want. Currently this is not possible in lumafusion. If possible, you could shoot the actors on a green screen then key it out and add the desired background.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:35 pm 
Adept
Adept

Hello Grub, Meyer

That’s the way I would approach in after effects.
I made a mask using text in LumaFusion ok but not desirable. Key frames etc but mask is not flexible in LumaFusion.

If I had a newer phone I probably opt for filmic as I think I can pre program blur background.

Sadly green screen not possible in my job, its shot from the hip as and when while I am teaching.

Thank you for your feed back Grub, if you have some ideas on how to mask out backgrounds with moving people, let me know - this is in LumaFusion.

I simple wished to remove the people in the background as I do often in my videos.

Here’s what I did in stead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 am 
Adept
Adept

Shallow depth of field is the holy grail for smart-phone production. And it's just not possible in many circumstances.

First off, Filmic Pro does not have a means of shooting with shallow depth of field, because it's a limitation of the lens and sensor size of the phone camera. The newer iPhones that simulate shallow depth of field can only do so on stills, because it's a trick; the two lenses are used to guess what's foreground and what's background, and then the phone's computer brain blurs the parts that it believes to be background. It works, and it works pretty well, but it's not perfect, and the processors just aren't fast enough to do this kind of stuff 24 times per second (or 30 or 60, depending on your personal taste in frame rate). I'm cautiously optimistic that either Apple or a third-party developer will come up with a tool that will allow newer phones to simulate shallow depth of field in video at some point, but who knows when that'll happen?

The shot you provided would be very difficult to simulate with tools available in iOS, but if you have a shot with a single person who doesn't move around in frame much, you can use an app called Tilt Shift Video to do a soft, non-articulated mask to blur part of the frame (in your case, the background). It looks pretty decent in the right circumstances, but it's not perfect, and if the person in frame moves, or if the camera pans, the mask can't be moved, so the subject will slide into the blurry background. (I have written to that developer to ask if there's a possibility of adding the feature whereby one could move the mask, but haven't heard back from them.)

There's another app called Fabby that uses face detection and a host of other tricks to blur the background (or add flowers or other weird elements), but again, it's just designed for stills. (You could conceivably use screen recording in one of these apps to capture video with the simulated shallow depth of field, but the interface elements would be recorded, as well, so you'd have to crop the video in LumaFusion to get rid of those elements. It's not an elegant solution by any means.

I have yet to find a solution that works for video and actively finds your subject and blurs the background, either while shooting or in post. It could probably be built by a developer, but I'm not aware of anything now.

iPhones are remarkable tools for production (I just shot a PSA using my iPhone 8+ and it looks great), but they're not going to be able to do the things that large-sensor cameras can do because of the physical properties of the optics in the device. And post-production simulation of shallow depth of field is difficult even in the most advanced of tools, like After Effects, on powerful desktop computers.

Sorry there's not a better answer.

- Dex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:07 am 
Adept
Adept

Thank you for the response Dex,

Very informative and detailed thank you.
I check out the apps you have mentioned.

I have a ok method to make background blurred in LumaFusion.
Example here

Regards Rob

Attachments:
7EF6BBD0-315E-4570-8DD2-DE7C252B9522.png
7EF6BBD0-315E-4570-8DD2-DE7C252B9522.png [ 215.87 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 am 
Adept
Adept

Rob — I’m glad you’re able to get done what you’re needing to get done! I’d be interested to know how you achieved that selective blurring.

This thread prompted me to do another search for other apps that can do blurred backgrounds. There’s nothing new, yet, but I did come across information that Apple is now allowing developers to access more depth field data (from both the front, dual cameras on iPhone 7+, 8+, X, and the newly-announced XS and XS-Max, as well as the front-facing “truedepth” camera system that the X and later phones has). This could mean that a developer could possibly create a video camera that can do the “portrait mode” look in real time in video. (It appears that the data will only be available at up to 30 frames per second, which is fine for me, since I shoot everything at 24FPS, but for those who like the ultra-smooth 60FPS, they’ll be a bit out of luck.)

Is anyone developing this shangri la app that would simulate depth of field in moving video? I don’t know, but I do know that there would be a pretty big market for such an app!