Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.6.7 is now available on the App Store, which includes a number of improvements and bug fixes.

Post subject: Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 am 

Hello,

I‘m an absolute beginner in making Videos and I‘m getting crazy by watching more than 100 YouTube Tutorials how to create great Videos, because I don´t understand the very simple things.
Here are my settings
Filming with my IPhone 8
Trying Filmic Pro, but don´t work for me, too much to adjust manually.
After production lumafusion

First I don‘t understand which fps Setting I should use.
When I chose 24 fps as Project fps in Lumafusion can I only use footage with 24 fps, what about footage in 60 fps for slowmotion or even 1080 footage with 120 or 240 fps could I use this too or will it stutter then?

Is it possible to mix 4k and 1080 footage in one Project without stutter?

I have a lot of further questions, that will follow, hope someone could help me with the basics.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:07 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi Beginner

Welcome to the forum

You can mix pretty much what you like but ...

Let's say most of your video was shot at 640x480 and there was some 4k too

If you choose to output the project at 4k then the lo res stuff will be upscaled and you may see artefacts - jaggies. Also the file size would be much bigger

If you shoot your video at 30 fps and output at 24 fps you will - probably - see stuttering.

So which should you use? Well that's obviously your choice but as a rule of thumb try and shoot at the size and frame rate that you want to output at

Experiment, and let us know how you get on :)

(Stick with filmic, it's a great app, but take it slowly as you get to understand each feature)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 am 

Thanks for your nice welcome

I will shoot most of the video in 4k but for slowmotion I will add some 1080 120 or 240 fps footage, will this also create artefacts and jaggies when output(export) at 4 k to youtube etc?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The true answer is ...

Yes

But ...

Will you see them?

.... unlikely

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:17 am 

Thanks for your answer that sounds good, so one of my questions solved.

One more question

For my understanding there are 3 options with different fps.
First starting a Project. When starting a project I can choose fps rate for example 24 which impact does it have?
Second filming with my Phone. I choose fps rate for example 4 K 60 fps and 1080 120 fps for slowmo which impact does it have?
Third exporting a Project. When I want to export a project to my fotos youtube or something else, I could choose again the fps, which impact does it have?

Do you understand my problem, I don’t understand the relationship between this three options of different fps choices and which I could combine or not.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:21 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ok, I'm sure people will have a more 'technical' answer than me, but this is what I've learnt (the hard way)

If you can, try to start your project in the resolution you would like it to end at (not essential because you can pick your output for export)
Your second line .. everything is in nice even multiples but if you output 1080p at 4k the 1080p will be upscaled. Likewise if you output at 1080p then the 4k will be downscaled (which is probably the better way of the two). Your choice of output will also influence the file size. 30fps and 60 fps are nice multiples if you then try to output at 24fps you're going to lose the odd frame here and there - well that's my experience anyway

When I started editing on the iPad a long time ago my videos (mainly drone at that time) were shot at 30fps and because I had read that 24fps was cinematic I output them at 24fps - I have some lovely 24fps jerky videos. I have since re edited them and output them at 30 fps and 'job's a good 'un' - nice and smooth (I now shoot at 24fps with my drone)

I'm happy for anyone to tell me I'm wrong on this .. I'm just Dave, not a pro, but that's my experience

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:28 am 

ok but when you shoot everything in 24 fps, there is no chance to slow the video down a bit, without jerky, right?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Correct

For slo-mo more frames is best

So you have to weigh up what the most important bit of your video is and your target audience

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 am 

Ok, so could it be a solution to choose Project fps with 24 and my footage is 48 and 24 fps, so it is possible to slow it down from 48 to 24 and I have this cinematic look because of Project fps 24.

Or will this also create a problem for example jettery or something elso, or would it loose the cinematic look.

Still searching for the perfect solution for me.

I would like to have the cinematiclook, but also the possibility to slow down my footage just a bit, and also use real slowmotion.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 am 

one more question

When I take a snapshot in lumafusion, is this as good as a normal photo, shot with the IPhone, or is it less quality