Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:27 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

To contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 2.4.2 is now available in the App Store

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 am 

Hi,
I've exported som files with logos and lower thirds as .mov proress44444 from FCPX. The meaning was to use them in the iPhone to speed up the workflow on the go. I could not get them to work in iMovie, so I bought the Lumafusion, but it does not seams to work here either. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any workaround or better way of doing this?
Thank you guys in advance for your answer in the matter.
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 am 
Adept
Adept

Apple’s iOS doesn’t support video with transparency; it’s a limitation of Apple’s hardware/software stack. So, you won’t be able to bring any video in with alpha channels. A workaround would be to render your video against a solid color and use the chroma-key that’s newly in LumaFusion, though it doesn’t handle partial transparency very well, so you may be limited in how you design the graphic elements.

One other thing to consider is that .PNG still files carry transparency (and partial transparency) just fine in iOS, so if your graphics aren’t moving in a way that you couldn’t animate in LumaFusion, you might just want to bring those elements in and animate them locally.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:50 am 

Now it does:

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc19/506

I think procreate will also support it so maybe easier handwrited titles.

Not sure how/when something like premiere/Davinci will be able to export HEVC with alpha though

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:49 am 

Interesting topic!

I was just creating a lower thirds animation in Apple Motion 5.5 but had no luck in exporting it correctly with alpha so that LumaFusion can handle it correctly.

From this page I learned that LumaFusion doesn’t support Apple ProRes videos so exporting from Motion in ProRes 4444 (which, apparently, supports transparency) is no option.

But even when exporting my Motion project (background set to transparent, exporting „Color + Alpha“) into HEVC (10 bit) the video had a black background instead of transparency in LumaFusion.

Anyone any tips here?

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

H265

https://luma-touch.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Guide.pdf

Page 7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:34 am 

Quote:
Thanks, Dave. However, how does this relate to my problem?
My problem is that even a HEVC (H.265) exported file from Apple Motion with transparency doesn‘t import into LumaFusion with transparency.
I currently have no idea whether I create the file correctly, whether Apple Motion is at all able to export a correct H.265 file with transparency or whether LumaFusion can‘t correctly read the file. I suspect the former two points being the problem, not the latter.
Will investigate further.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:40 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, Dave. However, how does this relate to my problem?
My problem is that even a HEVC (H.265) exported file from Apple Motion with transparency doesn‘t import into LumaFusion with transparency.
I currently have no idea whether I create the file correctly, whether Apple Motion is at all able to export a correct H.265 file with transparency or whether LumaFusion can‘t correctly read the file. I suspect the former two points being the problem, not the latter.
Will investigate further.
Check if the following helps. It shows how to create animations with Alpha Channel in Apple Motion that can then be used in LumaFusion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks in7ermaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:00 am 

Quote:

Check if the following helps. It shows how to create animations with Alpha Channel in Apple Motion that can then be used in LumaFusion.

Thanks, in7ermaster. I commented under Pablo's YT video.
Compressor is another paid app and I wonder if I really have to spend another 55 Euros and why a correct export directly from Motion doesn't seem to be possible. I'm sure I'm missing something here. I *has* to be possible out of Motion directly because all the settings that say so are there. Maybe it's a bug in Motion ... I don't know, yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was hoping for the same out of DaVinci Resolve but at the moment, Resolve does not support export of H.265 w/ transparency. I realize this is a different issue than with Motion but it's related in that I was trying to come up with an external mechanism for creating media with transparency that I could then use in LumaFusion.

To date, I am creating assets with a green background layer and using ChromaKey in LumaFusion but of course, this precludes having any color in the asset that has the same color as the background layer... I've put in a feature request to BMD for this...