Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.6.7 is now available on the App Store, which includes a number of improvements and bug fixes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 am 

Hi all,

I just recently purchased LumaFusion for iOS, and was doing some experimenting and am not sure if I’ve run into a couple limitation or a few bugs?

So here’s my setup - I have a short video from filmicpro I’ve already imported. I’ve also imported audio from a digital piano that I want to sync up for clean audio.

Here are my questions/issues...

1) when I imported the mp3 version of the audio from the piano, the audio played just fine but there were no waveforms - is this a known issue with mp3s? When I uploaded the wav file, the waveforms showed up...

Two and three are kind of linked together as they are related...

2) when working at moving the clips to sync them, I couldn’t completely liken them up, it seemed that the audio wave would snap to just before / just after the wave form in the video file and even to get that I’d have to drag a bit beyond in either direction otherwise when I’d release the audio track it would just snap back to where it was.

3) I’ve had some issues with the timeline, while moving the waveform, when I would release the timeline would scroll to the beginning of the audio track - awkward when you’re working 2 minutes in fully zoomed. And tied to this, I had a problem for a bit where I would shift the timeline so the play head was at a certain point and it would just snap back to where it was... I didn’t think I had anything selected that could cause this, but if I did, I’d love to know what I did to cause this action?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Nethfel

Thanks for describing your workflow, it's very helpful.

1) I'm not aware of any issues with mp3 files and their waveform being displayed on the timeline. I just did a bunch of imports of mp3 files, both stereo and mono with no problems.
Tell me more about your mp3, how was it made, what parameters did you use, etc?

2 and 3). These are issues with LumaFusion and we are will be working on ways to make syncing audio to video better. In the meantime:

Since we don't have any auto syncing functionality I tend to use a clapper slate when I'm recording audio separately. It's old fashioned obviously, but it works. After importing the clips into LumaFsuion, I place a mark IN on the video and audio source clips, then just drag them to the timeline.

If have a lot of clips that you have to sync, then you might think about syncing them up one at a time on the timeline, then exporting them to create a new clip. You would then use these clips to edit with. You can send video clips to the 'Rendered Movies Folder' which will put them into the Imported Library.

To overcome the issue of being zoomed in when you move the audio clip against the video clip, you could create a cut in the audio clip at the place you are looking at. After you make your adjustment, you can trim out the audio to ensure that you are synced earlier in the timeline.

Let me know what you think

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:02 pm 

Thank you for the info!

The MP3 file in this case was a transcode of the WAV file (honestly, when I was doing this I didn't have a list of compatible audio containers, and I figured MP3 would be more compatible) - in this case it was also transcoded from 44.1KHz to 48KHz as I also wasn't sure how well Lumafusion would handle multiple sampling rates on the audio (the video file contained 48KHz audio out of FilmicPro). I did late find that Lumafusion seemed more than happy to work with the 44.1KHz WAV file :D.

Unfortunately, I can't use your technique for syncing - although it is almost identical. As the audio is recorded directly on the digital piano (USB drive plugged into the piano where it creates the master audio file, there is no way to use a clapper in this situation as the recording on the piano would never record that sound - what I normally do is record a group of quick-hit keys so I have brief peaks (usually a set of 3 to help with alignment and be able to hear for echo better) then I either record everything then strip out the camera audio for the piano portions once synced OR the piano audio may not even be picked up by the mics on the camera (like if a headset is plugged in).

I only have to usually sync that one external track, so I rarely have a complicated syncing situation (granted, I've been spoiled by FCPX with its auto-align on sound marker which works well - but I had been doing it with the quick staccato note hits (although sometimes it's not as sharp as I can make it ;) so this isn't a terribly new technique for me ;)

Technically, it's the same type of method conceptually as the clapper, but the peak isn't quite as sharp as a clapper would create (read not as sharp as all, but there is a good demarkation that makes alignment fairly easy, it almost feels like I'm being restricted to frame alignment).

I'll try trimming the audio on the audio clip to see how that works.

It would be nice if one could shift a specific clip without it scrolling to the beginning of that clip every time :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Nethfel

thanks for this extra detail (which digital piano are you using? I'm learning to play and am using a Yamaha P115)

You syncing method make a lot of sense to me.

I'll try and reproduce the waveform display issue now that I know what you did. Although, how did you do the transcode to MP3?

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:53 am 

Hi Androu!

I'm currently learning as well! I have a Yamaha NU1 - I used to use a Casio CGP700 but I didn't like the feel of playing and I was having a tough time shifting between its feeling (weighted, but really not weighted enough) and my teachers upright. The NU1, even with its imperfections really solved that with the upright action in the hybrid. The videos I currently record are primarily really for myself to help me track my progress - hopefully someone won't stumble on that channel of mine on youtube - they'll be bored out of their mind (plus probably wonder how come each video looks different lol (different cameras, different lighting depending on what I happened to have with me when I record)).

In terms of transcoding, I used Apple Compressor to transcode from WAV 44.1 to MP3 48. I checked audio and length to verify there were no significant changes in the conversion.

-Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:46 pm 

Quote:
3) I’ve had some issues with the timeline, while moving the waveform, when I would release the timeline would scroll to the beginning of the audio track - awkward when you’re working 2 minutes in fully zoomed. And tied to this, I had a problem for a bit where I would shift the timeline so the play head was at a certain point and it would just snap back to where it was... I didn’t think I had anything selected that could cause this, but if I did, I’d love to know what I did to cause this action?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Does anybody have an update on issue 3 ?

This happened to me today after the updated. I wasn't using any videos or audio files, just images and text objects. Suddenly the app wouldn't let me scroll past a certain point in the timeline. I could scroll back, but not past it. And if I tried playing the preview, it would play until reaching that same point in the timeline, then just stop.

I managed to force close the app and reload it with no loss in my progress, so it was just a minor inconvenience.