Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:46 am 

Until recently, I travelled with my MacBook Pro. Last year I got an iPad Pro and would now like to be able to do filming on my iPhone using Filmic Pro and editing on my iPad Pro using LumaFusion.

I did not find a good way to copy the footage from the iPhone to the iPad. Going through a cloud service is not an options, as this is especially important during travel where the bandwidth (if any) is typically low. I'd also like to keep raw video footage out of my Photo Library for that reason.

I've tried installing Filmic Pro on the iPad and exporting Filmic archives on the iPhone and airdropping them on the iPad. This turned out to be not reliable. I'd also rather like to copy individual clips.

The basic requirement would be to copy clips from the Filmic Pro Library on the iPhone to the iPad directly (not through a cloud service) using Bluetooth or Wifi connectivity.

At home I use the iTunes file sharing functionality, which is not available to me during travel.

If this has been answered already, please forgive me (I did try to find it) and send me the pointer.

Thanks!

Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi stefantimm

Go to the Filmic Pro directory in photos
Select the clip(s) you want
Tap the square with the up arrow in the bottom left hand corner
Tap to share with AirDrop

Let us know how you get on

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:17 am 
Adept
Adept

AirDrop is likely the best approach for what you want to do. I’ve successfully airdropped a single 90 minute 4K clip from my iPhone 8+ to my Mac, but it took about 35 minutes. I’ve airdropped 20 minute 4K clips from my iPhone to my iPad Pro without trouble, and they’ve taken about 3 or 4 minutes to transfer.

You could also use a device like the Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro and transfer the files from the iPhone to that, using it’s internal WiFi, and then transfer from the My Passport to the iPad, which would give you a backup of the files on the My Passport, but it does add an extra transfer step.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:26 am 

Hi stefantimm,

I actually asked a similar question earlier. I am thinking of buying a DJI drone and want to transfer footage to my iPad Pro and won't have any internet access.
Thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6319

One thing I am thinking of buying to solve the problem is this little (expensive) thing:
https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-s ... s-ssd.html

It has it's own wireless access point and storage which the iPhone/iPad can use to transfer files between the devices.
In my case I was thinking of connecting the drone SD card to this device, store all data on the SSD and then access all photos and videos on my iPad through the wireless access point.

However, I don't have any specs on how fast the file transfer would be with this solution compared to AirDrop.

I know there are other less expensive hardware similar to the SSD above with same functionality but I liked the idea with Lumafusion support and all that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi ndr

I use the WD drive and have a DJI P3S - yeah I know it's the old one :D

I will be honest and say that time isn't a problem for me so speed of transfer is not a concern of mine so I haven't done any specific speed/time tests

I can confirm though that with the Micro SD in an adapter, files from the drone will transfer flawlessly to the WD drive - how fast - fast enough for me!

You're not talking about vast amounts of difference in time between the method above and airdrop although as the file size increases the difference in time will become more apparent. Unless they've changed the file system with the MavicAir the biggest individual file you will have is 4 gig. If you shoot a long video in 4k it will be split into 4 gig chunks. With LF being able to handle 4k I always shoot in the highest res available (only 2.7k on P3S) and you can export at a lower res if you want to

You can also wirelessly back up your photos and video from your iThings to the WD drive so you've got everything in one place

LF will import video and stills from the WD drive with no problems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 am 

I use the expand SansDisk Thunderbolt Flash Drive:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-i ... 8gb+ixpand

It works great on iPad and iPhone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 am 

First of, thanks for all the responses!

Yes, AirDrop works. There are 2 problems:

1. On the destination device, it always lands in my Photo Library. Okay, I block sync via cellular and delete the clips (including the deleted folder) to avoid waste of cellular bandwidth. When travelling, I typically use a local SIM card with the maximum amount of GB, which is maybe 5GB. For photo sync that's fine, but accidental video sync eats my volume in no time.

2. Can anyone confirm (or disprove) that any 4k footage recorded on an iPhone X in HEVC is ALWAYS converted to H.264 when airdropped, even if the destination device is another iPhone X? If this is confirmed, HEVC support is currently really crap on Apple. The only way I found to get HEVC footage from my iPhone X to my iPad Pro is via Photo Library Cloud sync, which is not an option when travelling.

Question to the folks recommending a hardware solution (which I'd be happy to buy): Can anyone confirm this can be used to copy HEVC footage from Filmic Pro to an iPad WITHOUT any conversion?

Cheers

Stefan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi stefantimm

I don't have an iPhone X so I can't directly check what you're asking but have a look in the Photos settings of Settings on the iPhone

Scroll down to the bottom and see if Automatic is ticked. If it is, change it to 'Keep Originals' and see if that makes a difference.

I backed up my Photos to my WD drive yesterday via the WD app on my iPhone 7 and I can confirm that the files were HVEC

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:22 pm 

Hi,

Here's what I can put forth:

I only have my iPhone with me while testing this, but what I did:

In FilmicPro, set to 4K Filmic Extreme, HEVC and made a short recording.
Transferred the recording to my Sandisk iXpand
Disconnected the iXpand drive from my phone, closed all of the running apps
Connected the iXpand drive to my laptop to check the video files settings - confirmed it is 4K HEVC
Connected the iXpand drive back to my phone and let the Sandisk app launch and recognize it.
Launched Lumafusion
Imported from the iXpand drive
Checked the info on the imported file and it shows HVC (I believe a shortening of HEVC)

So using the Sandisk iXpand drive to transfer the footage should work. I'd suggest getting a small drive to test it for yourself (a 32gig version costs ~35USD), I have both the 128g and a 32g version of the drive and both have worked well for me (I needed a drive formatted in FAT and another in the default exFAT for >4GB files)

* UPDATE: I did finally have the opportunity try to transfer it to my actual iPad, and it maintained everything as it should using the Sandisk iXpand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:10 am 

I just got my SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive (128GB) and I can confirm that the transfer of footage from Filmic Pro on my iPhone X to Lumafusion on my iPad Pro now works without loss of any quality or bloating of videos and without using the iCloud Photo Library.

Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated.

Thanks to Lumafusion I can also export HEVC video. I stand by what I said, Apple's HEVC support currently is crappy at best: No HEVC via AirDrop, no HEVC via iTunes/USB and (which to me does not matter anymore) no HEVC export in iMovie.

Cheers

Stefan