Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.5.1 is now available on the App Store. This update fixes the incorrect app name in localized languages

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 am 

I tested lumafusion on an iPhone 7 Plus and an 8 Plus and found thatperformance was nearly identical, that the 8 Plus was no smoother than the 7 Plus. The only time when I saw a real difference, was when I exported the exact same clips on both devices, each with an unreasonable about of layers (8-10) added on. That was when I saw a 25% performance increase on the 8 Plus, but still nowhere near the 70% increase in multithreaded loads advertised by Apple. Also, i don’t know if there is a significant amount of GPU usage as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi zony,

I too was underwhelmed by the performance increase in LumaFusion on my iPhone X versus the iPhone 6s Plus. I saw a much bigger improvement going from my iPad Pro 9.7" to the iPad Pro 10.6".
LumaFusion is highly I/O and GPU bound (we're reading and writing a lot of data and the majority of the time we spend is in the GPU for video processing - this may end up starving the CPU and limiting the increase there).
The place that is likely to get the most improvement is in video decoding, but that may not be fully optimized for the new chip yet.
In general, advertised speed gains are for very specific CPU-based workflows, and particularly in the case of the Bionic chip, it's a very different architecture than the previous chips.
What I would expect is that over time (with new iOS updates), the performance in LumaFusion will improve, as Apple optimizes AVFoundation, CoreAudio and CoreImage for the new chipsets. LumaFusion will get those gains automatically as Apple makes improvements.