Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:03 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.5.3 is now available on the App Store. This update adds Korean Localization, new aspect ratios, and fixes some issues

LumaFX 2.5 is now available on the App Store. This adds new ways to import media, and fixes the issue with importing LUTs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:18 pm 

Hi!
Played around with LF tonight and was trying to fit (composite) a video track on an image of a tv. So what I’m looking for is Free transform in PS, Corner pin in AE, or change perspective etc. Is there a way to do this? Sorry if I’ve missed something and/or if this has been brought up before!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi gardellen

Still image of TV on track 1
Video to display on TV on track 2

Tap on track 2 to highlight it
Tap on the 'briefcase' on the right
Tap on 'Edit'
Either using the sliders or by 'pinching the image' - resize it
Drag it to where you want it - ie over the tv screen

Job's done?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:43 am 

Hi knobbydave and thanks for your help! :D

Your solution works perfect for a situation where the TV is shot upfront, but picture it being turned to the side, you’d need a way to shift the perspective in order for the video to look real.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:08 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah - forgot the perspective bit :oops:

I'll say then - no you can't - yet

But happy for someone to show me a workaround

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 am 
Novice
Novice

Do you mean something like this? Mask can be skewed in most photo apps. But video skew I don’t think is possible? The video does play inside tv screen see screenshot. Unable to upload the .mp4 file as I get an error message on this forum.

Attachments:
File comment: Very crude mask created Affinity and imported to LF.
D63DA2D2-861A-42B2-91D8-4EC977E1E51B.png
D63DA2D2-861A-42B2-91D8-4EC977E1E51B.png [ 2.22 MiB | Viewed 1019 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm 
Adept
Adept

Albut’s mask technique is a great solution, and works if the TV isn’t viewed from too far off center. A corner pin tool would be awesome, but in the meantime, you can also do some real old-school stuff to fake it, though it does require two devices:

1. Load the footage you’re going to want to see in the TV on device 1 (let’s say it’s an iPad).
2. Set the iPad up on a very solid platform of some sort.
3. Set device 2 (let’s say it’s an iPhone) up on a tripod. Open your favorite videography app and aim the camera at the iPad.
4. Position the iPad and iPhone relative to one another such that you get the proper perspective on the footage playing back on the iPad. Be careful to avoid reflections on the screen of the iPad.
5. Record the video footage playing back on the iPad with your iPhone. (Adjust exposure and such as necessary.)
6. Use Albut’s approach to create a still with a hole in it in the frame of the TV.
7. Line up the footage you just shot on the iPhone so it fits inside the frame of the TV.

Downside to this approach is that you’ll wind up with a somewhat degraded image by re-photographing it from the screen of the iPad, but you can compensate for much of that with the color correction tools in LumaFusion. Upside to this approach is that it will look much more like you’ve actually photographed an image playing on a monitor.

When LumaFusion 1.5 is released, which is rumored to support green screen, you could also film live video of the TV frame if it’s got a solid color on it, and use that for the frame inside which you’ll place the re-photographed video footage.

It’s kind of a kludgey approach, but back in the 1980s I worked in a TV station that didn’t have DVE on the switcher, so for all of our quarter-panel effects (the windows with graphics inside that appear over the shoulder of the news anchor) were rephotographed from a monitor. It worked for broadcast television back in the day!

- Dex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Wow Dex, that is an ‘old’ way of doing it

I like it!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:13 am 
Adept
Adept

Video Transform does seem like a logical future feature for Lumafusion and hopefully one that is on the roadmap.