Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.4.8 is now available on the App Store. This update resolves some audio preview issues as well as other bug fixes

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:42 am 
Novice
Novice

Just curious about the exactitude of the info given when I hit the info tab for any given video on my timeline.

More precisely, I imported some video that I had captured using the FiLMiC Pro app, where the resolution selected in FiLMiC Pro was 4K FiLMiC Extreme at 24fps. FiLMiC Pro no longer indicates a set value for the encoding bitrate, but generally, the app sets a target of 100mbps encoding bitrate for 4K Extreme (as per their user manual).

Now, when I click on the info tab for that video in LumaFusion, it is telling me that the video is 22mbps. Wow! That is a big difference in quality!

So, is it because the info being given by LumaFusion is not exact? Is it because LumaFusion downscales the video so that it can be quickly managed on the editing timeline, kind of like using a proxy? Or is it because there is maybe a problem with the FiLMiC Pro app?

I guess I am really curious, especially if the info in LumaFusion says 22mbps and then when I export the final edited video I select the 100mbps option. This would make no sense for me to do that if the video is only 22mbps.

Any help or insights would be much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello PresidentJade

My best guess is that Filmic use variable bit rates. So the Mbps won't be higher than what you set, but could be lower.
I did some tests here on my iPadPro 12
The best I got out of Filmic Extreme (1080 and 24fps) was just under 50Mbps as reported by LumaFusion. The same clip was reported at 50Mbps in Quicktime.

I just found this on Filmic's website

FiLMiC Pro is the standard for iPhone videography and features Variable Bit Rate Video Encoding to make your footage look the absolute FiLMiC best under all post and color grading conditions or stretch the most recording time of your available storage or anywhere in between:

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the reply and the test results Androu!

I ended up doing the same as you and importing the video onto my PC and looking at the properties. It is the exact same as what the info tab in LumaFusion is giving.

D'oh! I should have done that first before asking a question here! But at least I now know it has nothing to do with LumaFusion.

I will reach out to the team at FiLMiC Pro to ask about this. While I understand it is a variable bit rate, 22mbps for a 4K ''Extreme'' video is pretty terrible.

Cheers! :)