Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.4.8 is now available on the App Store. This update resolves some audio preview issues as well as other bug fixes

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

Post subject: Transitions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:54 pm 
Adept
Adept

If I use, for example, a 4 second transition during editing and then later change my mind about the transition what happens when I delete the transition?

Is the 4 seconds of video also deleting or it remains in the timeline in its original unedited form?

Post subject: Re: Transitions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The rule we currently have in place when adding or deleting transitions is that we don't "ripple" (either trim away or add length) because we put inter-track sync as the highest priority so nothing should move. This is the same as Premiere handles it.

We have noticed that is causing some users to create a lot of transitions that don't have enough media to fill them (which results in a freeze during the transition that looks bad), so in 1.5 will will have an option in the settings about whether you want to ripple to ensure you always have enough media for the transition. When that setting has Ripple ON, we will have to think about what we do when a transition is deleted as there is an argument to do it either way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm 
Adept
Adept

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by ripple.

It wasn't clear to me until now if the video was deleted so I've always used undo but when you've added a dozen transitions and only want to change the first that's a bit of a pain. It's good to know I can just delete.

I don't know how others do it but in my workflow I tend to add transitions at the end of my project editing.

Do you have any guideline of how long a transition should be? Is 1 second generally enough?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ripple just means that shortening and lengthening clips moves the remainder of the clips earlier or later.

I used to say that an edit should feel right with no dissolves, and so the dissolves should be reserved to tell an aspect of the story, and in those cases I tend to use 20 frame dissolves (in NTSC that's 2/3 second).

But the best advice I have is that the transitions (or the cutting for that matter) shouldn't get in the way of the story. The transition should never be so long and obvious that the viewer thinks, "hey, I'm watching a dissolve in a video" because when they think that, they are no longer thinking about your story, and you lost them.

The beauty of editing, is that you can do it however you like, and every day there is another person who edits something brilliant in a way I never would have thought of.