Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.4.8 is now available on the App Store. This update resolves some audio preview issues as well as other bug fixes

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

Post subject: Dissolve question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

I've got two 30 second clips each at 25 fps with a 6 second dissolve in the middle. So there's 27 seconds of first clip, then 6 seconds of dissolve, then 27 seconds of second clip. For the first 3 seconds of the dissolve, the first clip dissolves out with movement then for the last 3 seconds of the dissolve it just fades away without movement. Likewise for the second clip - it looks like the second clip fades up for the first three seconds of the dissolve without movement and then for the last 3 seconds it begins moving.

I do have a warning that both clips need to be trimmed. But no matter how much I trim, and no matter how much I shorten the dissolve, I get the same issue described above.

Both clips come out of LumaFusion at 25 fps and get run through Rollworld at 25 fps.

I tried attaching the clip from iCloud Drive but it's not posting a link. This board finds the clip in my iCloud Drive and shows a thumbnail with the file name below. This board tried for more than 5 minutes to upload the attachment which I know will ultimately fail. It's a 29.5 Meg attachment. If I just try to post without uploading it says the file is empty.

And now I can't get rid of the iCloud Drive file so I have to copy and paste the text into a new post and cancel this one.

Post subject: Re: Dissolve question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Tomfabinski

What you describe regarding the clips and the dissolve is correct, it is what I would expect to happen.
Leave the dissolve at 6 seconds and then trim the clips so that the transparent blue overlaps the entire length of the dissolve.
See my screen grabs

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

Attachments:
IMG_1474.PNG
IMG_1474.PNG [ 247.99 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]
IMG_1473.PNG
IMG_1473.PNG [ 251.25 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]
IMG_1475.PNG
IMG_1475.PNG [ 369.85 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]
IMG_1472.PNG
IMG_1472.PNG [ 360.55 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

Androu - 've been communicating with Chris via email about this today. I hope I'm not causing duplicate effort on your parts. I told him I posted this on the forum.

I think I need to look at a tutorial or read the manual!

How did you trim the clip? Did you pull the arrow? Or move the whole clip? Because when I pull the arrow, the dissolve length changes as well as the first clip length. Is this because these are the only two clips AS WELL AS the last two clips on the main track? When I pull the whole right clip a little bit to the left, then the whole dissolve disappears.

I'm on the main track in insert mode.

I don't want the first clip to stop moving and fade out half way through the clip. I want the first clip to keep moving throughout the dissolve as it fades out. Can that be done? Chris said something about a pending change?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

Androu - I'll keep playing with this some more. I'm seeing some improvement in my learning curve LOL! I gave Terri a lot of trouble learning how dissolves worked before. She assured me that it would eventually become intuitive and it did! I didn't have to refer to my cheat sheet once after awhile. So, I'm good continuing to learn by practicing - no need to reply, Androu!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

Androu - Success! Woohoo!!! Apparently, as Chris pointed out (because I gave him enough information LOL) my default dissolve globally was 4 seconds. LumaFusion knew enough to trim the clips as necessary for the 4 second dissolve. But when I increased the dissolve length to 8, that's when I started having problems. I've got it now. Thanks! No need to respond. P.S. Say Hi! To Terri for me!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:01 am 
Expert
Expert

Androu - Well, I thought I had it :(

(finally figured out that your screen grabs should be viewed, in chronological order, from bottom to top.)

This paragraph talks about replace mode, I think. And so it is probably not the correct mode. So you can pronanly just skip this paragraph, Androu, and go to the next paragraph. If I grab the handles of the clip after the transition (because it says that clip must be trimmed to fit the 10 second transition) and pull the handle either to the right or the left then the transition disappears and I go into "Replace Clip" mode. This is being done in the replace mode (?) - that is, where the arrow icon on the left is white not blue. In this mode the clip that follows the transition only has a right facing arrow - it does not have a double arrow - left and right.

When I go into insert (?) mode, where the arrow icon on the left is blue not white, then I get double arrows - both left and right on the following clip. And now I get the transparent blue when I press and hold the double arrow heads of the following clip. Now when I pull the left pointing handle of the clip following the transition to the left, then the length of the following clip shortens but so does the transition. That's not I want. I want a 10 second transition. (By the way, both before and transition clips are 30 seconds long, so there's plenty of media for the transition to work with.) (And, as an aside, if I pull the left pointing handle of the clip following the transition too far to the left, then the transition disappears completely.) Also, if I pull the left arrow of the following clip to the left so that the transition is like about 1 second, and then tap on the transition, I still get the message that the following clip still needs to be trimmed. So what am I missing, Androu?

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Tom

You wrote:

When I go into insert (?) mode, where the arrow icon on the left is blue not white, then I get double arrows - both left and right on the following clip. And now I get the transparent blue when I press and hold the double arrow heads of the following clip. Now when I pull the left pointing handle of the clip following the transition to the left, then the length of the following clip shortens but so does the transition. That's not I want. I want a 10 second transition. (By the way, both before and transition clips are 30 seconds long, so there's plenty of media for the transition to work with.) (And, as an aside, if I pull the left pointing handle of the clip following the transition too far to the left, then the transition disappears completely.) Also, if I pull the left arrow of the following clip to the left so that the transition is like about 1 second, and then tap on the transition, I still get the message that the following clip still needs to be trimmed. So what am I missing, Androu?

OK, first, 'Insert mode' is when the arrow on the left is white (it points to the right). 'Overwrite mode' is when the arrow is blue (pointing down).
When changing the duration of the dissolve by trimming, you should be in insert mode (white arrow pointing right).
Then do what you describe in your paragraph above.

Here is a short video showing how to trim dissolves in LumaFusion
https://vimeo.com/238439292
password: dissolve

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:27 am 
Expert
Expert

Androu - Thanks! I've DEFINITELY got it now! LOL! Many thanks!!! (I was afraid I was going to have to forfeit my expert status! LOL!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:35 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks here also Androu!

I knew how to make it work but couldn't have described it so well