Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions please see our support page https://luma-touch.com/support. You can contact us from our support page, or email us directly at support@luma-touch.com.

LumaFusion 1.4.8 is now available on the App Store. This update resolves some audio preview issues as well as other bug fixes

LumaFX 2.4.3 is now available on the App Store. This fixes additional issues for iOS 9 users

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:37 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi all. I'm new to the forum so it's my first time posting. This app is absolutely fantastic and I still can't believe what can be achieved with and IPhone 7+. Incredible work from the team who have developed this app.

I shoot h264 footage with my Canon DSLR and then import using the lightning adapter. I no longer need to go to my laptop so edit on the move with my phone. The freedom I have now is great.

I have a question. Once an edit is finished, on export does the video footage get rendered out into a completely new h264 video (meaning a slight loss in quality from the original footage) Or does LumaFusion make a copy of the original videos from IOS and somehow piece them together into one finished clip meaning no rendering out actually takes place (so presumably meaning there is no loss of quality from the original videos).

I am just asking this as I am trying to work out how much quality is lost. Also the export time is so quick that it wouldn't seem possible to render out that quick. I haven't had an opportunity to check my exported videos on a bigger screen yet so can't tell if my final video has suffered in image quality. Any info would be great. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello domehouse

thanks for the question. Yes, LumaFusion does render the output. When you export you can choose at what resolution, frame rate and video quality (measured in Mbps). The selected resolution will have an impact on the choice of Mbps. For example, when selecting the resolution 4K you will find a quality of 100Mbps. The higher the number of Mbps the less compression occurs.

The starred settings are the recommended settings for export based on your current project settings.

Hope this helps

Regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:45 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
Hello domehouse

thanks for the question. Yes, LumaFusion does render the output. When you export you can choose at what resolution, frame rate and video quality (measured in Mbps). The selected resolution will have an impact on the choice of Mbps. For example, when selecting the resolution 4K you will find a quality of 100Mbps. The higher the number of Mbps the less compression occurs.

The starred settings are the recommended settings for export based on your current project settings.

Hope this helps

Regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch
And this is a big benefit from LF.
But seriously, if you export 4k or at least 1080p material with extrem quality nobody will ever see any difference, even there is no visible difference between extrem and high quality export for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

So in the end my recommendation for the TO is try it always with extrem quality and then compare it with the lower one (high), if you see a difference, continue using extrem - but the used space stands in no positive relation to the extremly small or unvisible loss of quality when you're using just high quality - so for even for ambitious user high quality seems to be more than enough :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello domehouse

there are few other ways to think about what export settings to use.

It is true that you might not notice much, if any, difference between (for example) 24, 32 or 50Mbps on an exported video.
In the end it comes down to what you want to do with the exported video for.

For uploading as a finished video to YouTube or Facebook, you would probably choose the starred settings. This will give you the best balance between picture quality and file size.

If you want to export the video for further processing (more effects)) or to use again in LumaFusion, you might want to use the highest Mbps which would reduce artifacts being introduced from higher compression rates (lower Mbps).

Hope this helps clear things up

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:37 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Androu, related question since you just gave me an idea. I've decided that the easiest way to work with footage for which I've recorded external audio (video with audio captured on iPhone 7 Plus and another audio capture using an Olympus recorder) is to sync the external audio (I use hand claps) in a temp project, export the synced results, then start a new project using my synced file as my main file.

What I'm understanding from your response to domehouse, is that I should export my synced footage at a high quality since I'm going to work with it to create my final video which I'll export at recommended settings since my video is headed for YouTube. Do I have that right?

http://www.boozphotolearningcenter.com/blog
http://www.youtube.com/billbooz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:37 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I’m not Androu but you are correct

(But there’s no advantage exporting at a higher resolution than the resolution of your clip with the highest resolution)