Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas. The registration code can be found in the App Store release notes or contact support@luma-touch.com
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

LumaFusion 1.4.5 is now available on the App Store. This update fixes issues with exports.
LumaFX and LumaClip 2.3.1 are now available on the App Store. This fixes export problem for iOS 9 users

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:11 am 

Something I noticed in Affinity Photo which would be very useful in Luma Touch, at least for my workflow... allowing iCloud Drive to be used as a source and therefore exposing the "Locations" API to be used in the Import Media routine.

That is, in Affinity, If I select iCloud Drive, and then Locations, and then DS FILE, I can import from my Synology NAS on my network.

To explain myself better - right now LumaFusion can import from a bunch of Cloud Services (but not iCloud Drive). Which is great, but it means my video files must exist on one of those cloud services, which they normally aren't. They're normally on my NAS. And in Affinity, I can select "iCloud Drive" and then "Locations" where I can select "DS FILE" (they Synology app which allows me to select files on my NAS) and load straight into Affinity without having to go thru some other "open in" process.

Not sure how hard this is to do, but I'll bet any work done here would also make it a slam dunk in the new Files App in OS 11. The Files App seems to use the same iCloud Drive / "Locations" API to populate the sources on the sidebar.

I hope I'm making sense. I've attached a screenshot of Affinity Photo using the Locations Chooser.

Cheers
Jim

Attachments:
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG [ 135.15 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

+1 if something like this can be implemented. I store my unedited files on my Synology NAS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:48 am 

I've done a bit more research - I'm not a developer so this is new to me - but it seems like the functionality is called the iOS "Document Picker".

Info here: https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... ction.html

One of the limitations of the current implementaiton is that only a single file can be selected and moved/copied. I believe the "Files App" in iOS 11 enhances this to allow multiple files to be selected, and I think it's an extension of this same API.

That is, if Luma Fusion is extended to use the Document Picker for import and export, all this will come for free with the Files App.

It's hard to find Apps in the App Store which highlight their use of this extension for file management, but it's the usual suspects such as DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive for their own cloud storage. For NAS storage, I've found DS File, DS Cloud for Synology, and FileBrowser for Business (any SMB or AFP share on the network).

Hope that helps. I can't believe it's been there all along and I've never found it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi all,

Sometime this summer we will be adding direct SMB/CIFS (and possibly WebDAV) support (as well as FTP and some others), which will allow direct import/export to LumaFusion from NAS drives (and you'll have the advantage of multiple file import like we already have with our other cloud storage providers). We also intend to support iCloud Drive, and we may use the document picker API (with multi-select in iOS11) or we may bypass that and use the iCloud Drive REST API directly so that we can provide an interface like our other cloud providers.

We had looked at supporting iCloud through Document Picker early on, but at the time it was almost useless (before it became the more general iCloud Drive, and before there were file provider extensions like DS Cloud). When it finally became usable, we were deep in LumaFusion development and it's simply been a lower priority. Note that one workaround is to use a file organizing app like Documents from Readdle or GoodReader to access files on your NAS, then use Open-In to transfer them (one-at-time) to LumaFusion.

iOS11 should be quite a game changer for iPad users in particular, and we'll definitely be supporting multi-file drag-and-drop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:12 pm 

Thank you so much for that comprehensive explanation!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Cheers Chris