Luma Touch Support Forums

Luma Touch (luma-touch.com) provides support and a great community for Luma Touch apps. Email info@luma-touch.com to get the registration code (or find it in the app store description).
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

LumaFusion 1.3.2 is now available on the App Store! This update includes a number of targeted bug fixes and improvements

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:12 pm 

Hi there,

First of all, great app, what a solid app for a v1.X. I am a FCPX editor and when I was editing on the ipad I was using iMovie. I produce a bi-weekly web series and also do some event coverage where editing multicam on the ipad has saved me a ton of time. With iMovie I had to use the picture in picture function to cheat a multicam and syncing was not as slick. Obviously with Final Cut its easier but I don't always like being tied to a computer. This year at a major trade show we were able to shoot a booth video, import and edit on the ipad and have it live within the hour. It was huge and my boss was impressed. Then I find Luma Fusion.

I just edited my first episode only using Luma Fusion and I have to say I am impressed. Finally a real multi-track editor for the ipad. I'm using a 12" iPad Pro that has become my laptop replacement. With apps like this it makes it easier and easier to leave the laptop behind. I watched some tutorials before editing and played a little bit with some scrap clips before doing a full episode.

What I liked:
-It was stable and generally intuitive
-Offers basic color correction and exposure
-Offers frame by frame cutting to match multi cam tracks and real multi video tracks
-Audio track editing and detachment for extra video tracks
-Titles are editable in pretty much every way
-Decent start of transitions for GFX and titles
-Wave view for syncing tracks is great!
-The ability to save User effects is outstanding! I shoot in a studio often with fixed lighting. Once I saved my color to a user effect applying quickly with the presets button shortcut was really great. Well done!

What I would LOVE to see added to make it the very best iOS Pro level editor:
-External keyboard support, this is my number 1. To use space bar, J K L, arrow keys and have keyboard shortcuts for blade tools, jumping to edits, frame by frame etc etc. This is the only aspect that iMovie has on Luma Fusion. Using the tools on screen is ok and great for traveling light. But when I want to do some speed and power editing on the ipad the external keyboard really makes things go faster.
-More transitions, mainly to be used for Png files that I use as lower third titles etc as well as titles
-Group selection to move multiple clips or apply color to multiple etc.
-In the viewer window dedicated arrow buttons to go frame by frame (just learned holding down the current arrow works)
-In the photos/videos media browser window the option to sort view by date, newest first, oldest first etc. Maybe even some sort of tagging or labeling. I currently use the iOS photos app to make different albums of all footage, selects, wont use etc. In app tagging or color coding would be awesome
-I know there was talk of chroma key, that could be cool but for for complex shoots where I use green screen Ill use FCPX, but for casual podcasts I could see this being a great feature
-Would love more color and exposure options. I understand scopes may not be possible but it would be nice to be able to adjust exposure shadows, mids, highs and then color.
-Snapping. How I would like to see it is when I add a Png with alpha to be used as a lower third or gfx etc, being able to snap it in alignment to a title or even centered would be great. Here along with an external keyboard for using the arrow keys for fine movement would be awesome too.
-Project sorting, it says there is a color option but I didn't quickly find how to color code a project. If there was thumbnails versus the strip view I'd prefer that. Even better would be folders to put various projects groups into.

I think that's enough for my first real post. Seriously though, great job. Really looking forward to seeing what the future holds. I know some of the above has already been asked for but I thought I would share my thoughts and feedback.

Thanks!
-Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi bluepythons,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Most of the features you are asking for are planned for upcoming releases.

You can currently color-tag items in the album (as well as rename them and add notes to them). To do so, tap on the item so it appears in the preview, then tap on the Info-> button at the bottom-right of the preview. You'll now see metadata and be able to tap on the color-tagging button (the little circle button).

Note that you can also single-frame by swiping left or right in the preview (there are a lot of hidden features in LumaFusion - which we hope to make more apparent in the future).

To color-tag a project, tap on the little circle at the bottom-left of each project. We will likely provide more view options for the project page (though keep in mind you can scrub the project quickly by sliding along the filmstrip).

We will make sure that all of your feature requests are in our database, and we appreciate your taking the time to write up thoughtful feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:27 am 

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Those tips and explanations are great. I love learning more and more about this app. I didn't look hard enough at the color option but tagging clips and being able to title them is huge! Looking forward to future updates.