Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.6.7 is now available on the App Store, which includes a number of improvements and bug fixes.

Post subject: Re: Performance issues
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:51 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi Bacton144

This morning I tried some go pro footage both 1080 P and 4K and both worked just fine. I was able to add multiple effects and do color correction. I'm using an iPad Pro 9.7 inch.

Have you tried deleting the app, restarting your iPad and re-downloading the app. I find sometimes that clears up problems I have when I've installed apps or upgrades that don't seem to work right.

Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:44 pm 

Quote:
Hi Bacton144

This morning I tried some go pro footage both 1080 P and 4K and both worked just fine. I was able to add multiple effects and do color correction. I'm using an iPad Pro 9.7 inch.

Have you tried deleting the app, restarting your iPad and re-downloading the app. I find sometimes that clears up problems I have when I've installed apps or upgrades that don't seem to work right.

Richard

I just did an uninstall hard reboot and reinstalled with the same issues. I have the 12.9 ipad I wonder if it is just a simple omptimization issue with the extra pixels. The smaller I make the screen (using portrait mode) the better it works .

are you able to zoom way out of the time line to see the entire project without issue?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yup, zoom in zoom out it pretty much works as advertised. I'm guessing the Devs may not have had a 12 inch iPad Pro to play with and used a simulator. Hopefully, one of them will show up on the form and have some suggestions or at least be able to fix it in the next update.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:08 am 

I can add that I am using an iPhone 6.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello everyone

Thanks for all these comments. Thanks knobbydave for your comments, you are correct in what you say regarding pinnacle studio and LumaFusion. This is the sort of thing we want to hear about.

sorry not to have gotten back a little sooner with regard to all these things, enjoying christmas i guess

Just heard that, for what ever reason, video clips encoded with handbrake just don’t work well with LumaFusion. So, they will take time to start playing. The solution for that is to encode the clips again using LumaFusion. These new clips will playback with much better response times.

As for the comments about smooth/ not-smooth playback with the timeline zoomed out/in, that is interesting. It is something that I can reproduce here on my 12.9”, 256Gbyte iPad Pro (not a simulator ; ) I’ll report it to the developers.

3 things:
1) try changing the playback performance in the settings panel. Even on ‘fastest’ the image quality is still really good. Does it help you out?

2) As mentioned above, if the video clips are made via handbrake, then it would be best to re-encode them with LumaFusion.

3) I am interested to know more about why you playback when zoomed out on the timeline. I can’t see how it makes adding transitions easier. I always find it is easier to add transitions when zoomed in to the timeline. But that’s me, so I would like to understand your workflow better.

LumaFusion offers video editors such an extraordinary feature set that I would be hard pressed to want to give it up (I’m speaking as an editor of over 30 years of experience). I know PSpro for iPad, and I know that it went through a lot of bug fixes and other issues as it matured through it’s life cycle. It did end up as a really good usable and stable bit of software. The same thing will be true of LumaFusion.

Happy new year

androu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:28 pm 

Quote:
Hello everyone

Thanks for all these comments. Thanks knobbydave for your comments, you are correct in what you say regarding pinnacle studio and LumaFusion. This is the sort of thing we want to hear about.

sorry not to have gotten back a little sooner with regard to all these things, enjoying christmas i guess

Just heard that, for what ever reason, video clips encoded with handbrake just don’t work well with LumaFusion. So, they will take time to start playing. The solution for that is to encode the clips again using LumaFusion. These new clips will playback with much better response times.

As for the comments about smooth/ not-smooth playback with the timeline zoomed out/in, that is interesting. It is something that I can reproduce here on my 12.9”, 256Gbyte iPad Pro (not a simulator ; ) I’ll report it to the developers.

3 things:
1) try changing the playback performance in the settings panel. Even on ‘fastest’ the image quality is still really good. Does it help you out?

2) As mentioned above, if the video clips are made via handbrake, then it would be best to re-encode them with LumaFusion.

3) I am interested to know more about why you playback when zoomed out on the timeline. I can’t see how it makes adding transitions easier. I always find it is easier to add transitions when zoomed in to the timeline. But that’s me, so I would like to understand your workflow better.

LumaFusion offers video editors such an extraordinary feature set that I would be hard pressed to want to give it up (I’m speaking as an editor of over 30 years of experience). I know PSpro for iPad, and I know that it went through a lot of bug fixes and other issues as it matured through it’s life cycle. It did end up as a really good usable and stable bit of software. The same thing will be true of LumaFusion.

Happy new year

androu
Hello,

To answer your questions:

1. I did use the fast settings for playback and while it was an improvement it was still not ideal.

2. Videos are not encoded via handbrake they are either direct from the camera or encoded with luma.

3. I work with several clips adding to a time line that is typically 10 min or more in length, zooming out helps me find the exact clip I want to work on with out having to swipe forever. I can quickly scrub over a clip and if it is not the one I'm looking for I can move to the next with a birds eye view and zoom back in to add a transition or what ever it needs. In order to get good performance after adding a few clips I need to be zoomed way in, so much that it takes a good 15-20 swipes to progress 30 seconds of video which is not a fast way to work. I'd rather zoom out and scroll.

Another thing I notice is if I add an audio clip direct from iTunes in lossless performance again goes out the window. I may stick around as I see a TON of potential but as of now I can't really use this software.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's great

thanks for the information about your workflow

regards

Androu Morgan
LumaTouch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:57 pm 

Just wanted to say that the Jan 4th update has improved performance a lot for me, much more useable now, in fact I did a small project on it today and it was really good!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for letting us know! I'll pass that along to a happy developer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:26 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi,

Last update did make the app very unstable with some strange behaviors like loosing current position or play button not working in the preview pane...
I hope these are resolved soon as I otherwise really enjoyed the app that I find impressive on a mobile device.

Cheers