Luma Touch Support Forums

Welcome to the Luma Touch community forums, a great place to get help and share ideas with other users. The registration code can be found by emailing support@luma-touch.com.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 am

All times are UTC-07:00

For answers to frequently asked questions and to contact us directly, please use our support page at https://luma-touch.com/support.

LumaFusion 1.7 is now available in the App Store. This update includes great new features like search and sort in the library, soft edges and curved corners in cropping, and our new integration with Storyblocks, a great royalty-free library of video, audio and sound effects. A sample of clips are included free, with a low-cost subscription available in-app for access to the full library

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:51 am 

Hello group.
I recently did a video. ( https://youtu.be/tG7pj-7DkAQ ) I shot some footage on my iPhoneX with 240fps. Imported those clips into #LumaFusion. Brought them down to 1/10th ( =24fps ) And then something strange happened when I used the Blending and some keyframes. The transitions now are not smooth but had steps in brightness.
You can see this in the transitions within the clip. The fades in the beginning and end were done with a black video with 24fps. This one faded really smooth.
Tried this scenario with some more clips. 24fps slowed down to 1/10. 240fps clip slowed down to 30fps (= 1/8) and everywhere there is this problem.
Looks like the blend is done to the original speed clip and afterwards the slowing happens resulting in steps in brightness = same brightness on some frames, then making a step and repeating this brightness for some clips.
When I do a blending on an unaltered clip the brightness changes every frame resulting in an very smooth change.
Does anybody know this problem? Any solutions?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello markus_z

Yes, I see what you are saying here. I'll write this up as an issue.

A workaround would be to create the slow motion clips first. You could use LumaFX. Load in a clip and slow it down to 24fps, then export it as an individual clip. Use this new clip in LumaFusion.

Let me know what you think

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm 

Thanks Androu.
I use this workaround, but it i. A cumbersome process.
If I have a long video it will be a very (!) long slowmo video.
Andit is notgood for quality either I think.
I hope you can figure a way to make this workable.
Thank you for the reply and the looking into.
Markus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:03 am 
Adept
Adept

I suspect this might be a result of the stacking order of effects on a video clip. If LumaFusion handled the speed change before it handled the blending effect, the issue would not likely remain. I think if there were a way to change the order of effects, that would be useful for a bunch of reasons, not least would be to apply a blur after cropping, so that the cropped edge would blur, as well.

I also suspect this could be very difficult to change; it seems likely that order of operations for effects that are in separate tabs (Frame and Fit comes before Speed which comes before Effects) are baked in to LumaFusion’s core construction. (And since Blending is in the Frame and Fit tab and Speed is in, well, the Speed tab, it might be difficult to re-order these operations.) But if it were possible to add the ability to re-order the stack, that would be awesome.

Another thought for the developers: if you could offer the opportunity to tell LumaFusion to handle particularly clips as particular frame-rates, that could also solve this issue. It’s like the “Interpret Footage” function in AfterEffects. If you have a clip that’s been shot at 240 FPS, but you want LumaFusion to treat it as if it had been shot at 24 FPS, “interpret” the footage to 24 FPS, and then it’ll be slow-motion on the timeline, rather than having to use the speed effect tab. I’d suggest adding “interpret footage” (or whatever term you’d like to apply to the function) in the clip info screen, where you can tag and name clips.

Androu’s work-around is probably the only thing that will work for now. I’d just suggest that when you pre-render the slow-motion clip, be sure to render it out at Extreme quality, since you’re going to be re-rendering it later; this will minimize the degradation of the video image being re-rendered.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
Hello markus_z

Yes, I see what you are saying here. I'll write this up as an issue.

A workaround would be to create the slow motion clips first. You could use LumaFX. Load in a clip and slow it down to 24fps, then export it as an individual clip. Use this new clip in LumaFusion.

Let me know what you think

regards

Androu Morgan

LumaTouch
This bug has been reported several times now since 1.4 - nothing happened, also not by 1.7.
Very, very frustrating for people making emotional videos cause you can‘t do ANY MORE key framing properly.
And I can’t finish my videos yet, let’s wait another 6 months, maybe with 1.8 it’s solved and no fun with LumaFusion as one of the first buyers any more... :oops: